Breve VS Latte: What you Need to Know!
Wondering what the difference is between breves and lattes? We can answer your pressing questions. Find out what the basics are of each coffee beverage as well as how to make them at home in this breve vs latte article. We’ll also provide the differences between the two beverages below.
Many people don’t know what breve is. So in this section, we’ll be going through the basics of this coffee beverage and how you can make it in the comfort of your own home.
What is Breve?
If you’re a coffee lover then you’ll love the delectable taste of breve. This coffee beverage is an Americanized version of Italian cappuccino. Breve consists of two ingredients. It’s made with half and half which is a blend of milk and cream. The half and half is frothed and added as a creamy topping to espresso to make a café breve.
Find out more about café breve here.
How to make Breve at Home
Making your own breve at home is fairly easy provided you have the correct coffee machines and tools. To make your café breve you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2oz of espresso from any brand you like
- 2oz of half and half steamed
- 2oz of half and half foam
You may need a coffee machine to make your espresso shots and a steam wand to froth your milk. Make sure your milk is cold before frothing.
Make breve at home just like the baristas at your favorite coffee shop by following these easy steps:
- Steam and froth your half and half at 146°F using a steam wand.
- Let the half and half set.
- Make 2oz of espresso using an espresso machine and ground coffee beans. Use Arabica beans for your espresso beverages.
- Pour the steamed half and half into a mug but hold the foam back.
- Then pour half of the foam on top of the steamed half and half.
- Now slowly pour the espresso shot into the mug.
- Top the breve latte with the rest of the foam and add garnish if you want to.
Now that you know more about breve, let’s take a look at some of the basics of lattes. Let’s see if this type of espresso beverage uses the same ingredients as breve and how you can make it at home.
What is Latte?
The latte coffee beverage is a popular drink that originated from Italy. You can make a hot or cold latte with a delectable espresso flavor if you use the correct beans. The word latte comes from the Italian word Caffe e latte which means coffee and milk.
To make a latte you’ll need espresso shots and lots of steamed milk. The beverage is then topped with a dollop of foam. Lattes can be served in 6oz or 20oz mugs. This espresso drink is smooth and packed with flavor. What’s more, you can add a variety of flavors to your beverage such as vanilla or hazelnut.
How to Make Latte At Home
Lattes are also easy to make at home if you have the correct beans and tools. The advantage is you don’t need espresso machines to make lattes at home. Here’s all you’ll need to make your espresso drink and a video to guide you:
- Half cup of milk full
- 6oz of strongly brewed espresso
Lattes may be easier to make at home than breve so follow these easy steps:
- Heat your milk in the microwave for 45 seconds in the cup you’re going to drink your latte out of.
- Take a whisk and vigorously stir the warm milk back and forth for at least 30 seconds until it becomes frothy.
- Make your 6oz of espresso in a French press and then pour it over your frothed milk.
Alternatively, if you have an espresso machine you can froth your milk using a steam wand. Then brew your espresso using a drip coffee machine. Pour the frothed milk over your coffee and then use a spoon to scoop the remainder of the foam and add it to the top of the beverage.
Similar Drinks like Latte
There are similar drinks that are like café latte. These coffee drinks are creamier and a lot cooler than standard lattes. Coffee enthusiasts that prefer subtle flavors will enjoy the following beverages:
- Mocha: A mocha is when you add steamed milk and chocolate to espresso. If you love the flavor of coffee and chocolate together then you may want to try mocha.
- Cortado: This coffee drink consists of double shots of espresso topped with milk foam. Cortado has a stronger coffee flavor compared to lattes.
- Flat white: All you have to do is add steamed milk to espresso. It doesn’t have a strong coffee taste like Cortado and it’s less creamy than standard latte beverages.
Differences Between Breve and Latte
Breve and latte are similar drinks but they use different dairy products which makes the two beverages taste different. Take a look at the table below to see the key differences between breve and latte.
|Made with half and half (cream and milk)||Uses 2% or whole milk for frothing|
|Uses two shots of espresso||Can contain flavored syrups such as vanilla, caramel and hazelnut|
|Steamed milk and froth is poured into the coffee||Uses one shot of espresso|
|Richer and creamier than latte||Traditionally served in a tall clear glass|
|Traditionally served in a cup||Microfoam is used for toppings|
|Topped with lots of foam||Can come in sized between 6oz and 20oz|
To Sum It Up
We hope you found the information you were looking for in our breve vs latte article. But if you’re still not sure which one to try first perhaps this will help you decide. Next time you go to a coffee shop, try breve for the following reasons:
- If you love creamier espresso drinks with lots of foam
- Pick Breve if you want a richer flavor of coffee
- You’ll love that you can drink this beverage with or without sugar
- The half and half adds enough sweetness to it
On the other hand, if you’re a person who wants stronger flavor then you may want to try Lattes for these reasons:
- You can add additional flavor to your coffee such as caramel
- This coffee has a low-fat content
- You can get a small or large latte
- The foam has a smoother texture
So which coffee beverage will you pick to make at home or to order at your favorite coffee shop?